Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

2year old golden labrador keeps losing use of her back legs

Customer Question

2year old golden labrador keeps losing use of her back legs then within 10 to15 mins she is running around as normal any ideas as to what would be causing this
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

This sounds very suspicious to perhaps be caused by myasthenia gravis, which is an immune mediated condition. The most common symptoms include all or some of these: exercise-induced weakness, fatigue, pelvic limb weakness or stiffness, megaesophagus, reduced gag response, voice change, neck weakness, and facial weakness. You will need to work with your veterinarian to diagnose this. The easiest way to diagnose is to submit a blood test (acetylcholine receptor antibody test) or some veterinarians still do the older way which is a tensilon test. Treatment is tricky, especially in the younger dogs but there are certainly some medications that can be used that will improve the situation.

Another possibility is a muscle cramp which can come from a variety of problems and general screening lab work to look at glucose and electrolytes is important.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey