Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My name is ***** *****, My mini doxie is on a 72 hr

Customer Question

Customer: Hi my name is ***** *****, My mini doxie is on a 72 hr prednisone regime checking to see if the tramadol is effective and safe to give together. And can you give dsisolved in water instead of a pill it seems to gag her? Thank you
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes, on Wed this past week she was reluctant to go upstairs so I assumed she and her other mini doxie went for anal gland cleaning, that is usually a sign to me. She went to the vet on Thursday for this and then that evening her little back legs wee unstable. I returned to the vet on Friday as her left leg was folding under her. By the time we got into the exam room she was extremely upset shaking and panting and her legs were much worse. The vet gave her a nuerological exam and told me she had a disc problem as in bulging or slipped or calcification. She said that would have to have an MRI at Loomis CA to determine this and surgery but that is the 6000 surgery wasnt an option I should put her down that day. I opted for taking her home. She is 7 and 13 lbs. She gave me tramadol and rimadyl. The next day I went to a holistic vet and had her examined again and acupuncture done but he gave me the steroids and crate rest and will do 6 more treatments. She had use of her tail and is alert and eating but cant stand to use her bowels ...i do understand that quality of life is very very important but I wanted to give her a chance to possibly recover enough to at least walk. The second vet felt he could help her.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your doxi. To answer you directly, the combination of prednisone and tramadol is a common one when addressing presumptive intervertebral disk disease. The nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as carprofen or meloxicam are now preferred over a steroid such as prednisone because they're less likely to cause adverse effects and appear to be as effective as steroids. You mustn't give prednisone concomitantly with carprofen (Rimadyl). That's a ticket for gastrointestinal ulceration.

Make sure that her conscious proprioception (knowing where her hind legs are in space) and nociception (deep pain perception in her hind legs) are assessed. Those qualities can tell us a lot about her prognosis for recovery. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?