Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a 2-3 yr old Yorkie who has had bloody stools days.

Customer Question

I have a 2-3 yr old Yorkie who has had bloody stools for 2 days. Is currently under the care of a vet (in hospital). Can you let me know what could be causing this? I am very concerned.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Unfortunately there are many causes of bloody stools, especially in small breed dogs this can be related to stress. The bacteria that is the primary culprit is called Clostridia which is normal in small amounts in the gi tract. When stressed, the normal bacteria become out of balance and the clostridial bacteria can increase and cause this change to the gi tract.

Other causes can include eating something they shouldn't, underlying gi disease such as food allergy or inflammatory bowel disease, metabolic causes such as liver/ kidney or endocrine disease, and sometimes even idiopathic meaning we simply don't have a cause.

Being the owner of several personal dogs that have had this condition (one being my senior Chihuahua that passed a few years ago and had three episodes in her lifetime) I do understand it is very frightening and not knowing the cause and how to do things differently is frustrating.

It might be a matter of keeping him on a probiotic in the future or simply beginning one when he is going to be in a stressed situation such as boarding or grooming.

CLICK HERE for more information on hemorrhagic gastroenteritis also known as HGE

Please let me know how else I can assist you tonight, I truly hope your new addition is feeling better soon. It sounds like he is in good hands. I am online another 30 minutes tonight to assist you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Good evening, I wanted to check in on your little dog tonight. Is he home with you yet? I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! I am online another hour tonight

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman