Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

You just answered my question on my dog but my computer sent

Customer Question

Customer: hi you just answered my question on my dog but my computer sent me to you right away my dogs name is pepper
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: we always clean our dogs ears a few months back we took her to the vet where she was told that she had a ear infection tahy gave her some drops and it went away I think its back her ears are dirty (orits blood ) when we clean them now thay smell and she is always shaking her head we tried every thing we had some stuff left over from before but that isn't helping we cannot afford to take her to a vet my hubby said that we can give her human anibiodicts I said no can you tell me whats wrong
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes and I paid already
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 10 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr Gabi. Yes, dogs can take certain human antibiotics if the infection is bacterial in nature. Usually at the clinic we take a sample and look at it under the microscope to see if it is yeast or bacteria. Usually if the drainage is green then it is bacterial. If it is brown, moist, and smells like wet corn chips then it is yeast. So antibiotics do not work on yeast.

If Pepper is getting chronic ear infections a likely cause would be food allergies.

You can give her human benadryl for the ear irritation. 1 mg of benadryl per each pound of dog every 12 hours as needed.

The best over the counter ear treatment is Zymox-HC

I would use it twice a day for at least a week.

Some Petsmart stores carry it and I know you can buy it at the link I pasted above.

You can read more about food allergies here

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?