Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog cant hear its been going on 4 few months i call her

Customer Question

my dog cant hear its been going on 4 few months i call her talk loudly she cant hear
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 11 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

If she has no historical ear infection, head trauma, or use of ototoxic drugs (certain instilled ear treatments) in the past few months prior to when you noticed hearing loss, then this is probably, and unfortunately, age-related hearing loss (presbycusis) which is common to see start to onset at this age, especially because it is bilateral or involving both ears at once. The degree of hearing loss can vary. It is one of the most common geriatric changes in dogs.

However, if you suspect this may be much more than age-related hearing loss, then the best step for evaluation is for her to see a neurologist. They can perform a special test called a brain stem auditory evoked response (BAER) to determine if she is truly deaf, and then advanced imaging such as CT or MRI scans to look into her ears and brain to determine if there is something other than an age-related problem causing this (e.g., infection, tumor/polyp, etc). If there was potentially a drug involved, then usually stopping this can help resolve the problem; a significant number do have return of hearing within 8 weeks. However, it sounds like it has been long beyond this time when you first noticed the loss; so return to hearing is unlikely. :(

Treatment? If we suspect this is age-related then the bad news is no cochlear implants have been developed for use in dogs, to date. You will need to learn to help her now that she cannot hear. You can train her to hand-signal commands and these dogs are often sensitive to vibrations. Care must be taken to protect her from injury by confining her to a fenced yard, use leashed walks, etc. Medical alert tags may also be attached to her collar to identifying her as being deaf.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Angle. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey