Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

4 yr old female german shepherd. Lathargic, off balance,

Customer Question

4 yr old female german shepherd. Lathargic, off balance, drinking more than normal. Still eating food but much slower than normal. Bowel movements seem normal. Muscle weakness and moving very slow.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Sorry to hear that Maggie is not feeling well.

Was the rimadyl dispensed for this issue? My concern/ fear is that if there is anything that is a new issue with the liver/ kidneys and that is causing the increased water intake the rimadyl may be exacerbating this condition and want to ensure the rimadyl was used after a veterinary exam

Can you also please tell me whether her gums are pink and moist versus dry and pale, yellow, or blue?

The off balance issue maybe related simply to weakness and not able to maintain a standing position from whatever the underlying cause is and my concern with the increased water intake is that we either have something viral/ bacterial ongoing or a possible issue with the liver/ kidneys/ adrenal glands that is causing her to feel parched and desire water intake to "flush" her system out.

I would strongly advise a veterinary exam, collecting a fresh urine sample in the morning (in a tupperware container, if more than an hour old then refrigerated), and basic bloodwork to determine the underlying cause of her symptoms and how best to treat her. I also would advise discontinuing the rimadyl if she didn't have bloodwork since this began as it can result in liver/ kidney changes or progress them if they were already present.

Recommend a veterinary er today if

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration
- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it
- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable
- Swollen abdomen
- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest
- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5
- No interest in food for 24+ hours
- No urination for 12+ hours
- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour
- Productive coughing
- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope she is feeling better soon, truly

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I am online another few hours today if anything changes and I can assist in any further ways...

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maggie. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman