Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My name is ***** *****. My 11 yr. old golden retriever had

Customer Question

Customer: Hi my name is ***** *****. My 11 yr. old golden retriever had accidentally ate 20mg. of lisinopril. My husband and I tried to induce vomiting with the hrdrogen pyroxide but she did not vomit. She seems okay, a little lethargic, but okay otherwise. Any thoughts??
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My dog has arthritis and has been in a bit of pain with the cold weather.....so my husband accidentally gave her one of his blood pressure pills (thinking it was pain meds we had for her).....he was an EMT some time ago and knew vomiting was what to do.....so we gave her the 2 TBSP that I saw you recommended to another cllient. We gave it to her pretty soon after he had given her the bp pill. She looked like she might throw up, but has not since. She looks up and smiles and has otherwise been just a bit lethargic.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I can wait.....am a bit short on funds right now. I really appreciate any help you can give me. But, yes I can wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I might dose your 11 year old Golden with 0.25 mg/lb of lisinopril. 20 mg, then, would treat an 80 lb dog. The lowest dose documented to cause hypotension in dogs is 12 mg/lb and so she should remain safe and smiling.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.