Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has come out in lumps on s pads on s front paws, he

Customer Question

My dog has come out in white lumps on his pads on his front paws, he is licking them and seems to be in pain. He is limping and finding it uncomfortable to lie down
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long have these been present?

How big are they?

Do they have white heads/caps?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They came out yesterday, about the size of a pea, they don't seem to have any "heads" on them just a lump that looks like they are starting to scab over I have attached a picture
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

Did he walk on anything irritating yesterday (ie salt for the roads)?

Does he seem tender on the white parts or the pink ones?

Do the white areas feel harder or swollen?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He hasn't been out of the bank garden all week, so there shouldn't be anything transferred that way, it seems to be the white bit which is tender to touch, they do seem to feel harder than his pads
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you again,

Based on the photos, it looks like we have inflammation causing a varied pattern on the paw pads. Its possible to see this if they have been in contact with an irritant but also can be secondary to infection or inflammation in the pad tissue. And just to note, either could cause lameness or discomfort here.

Now Sudocrem won't likely help here since the issue is deeper in the tissues and the paw tends to be quite a non-porous skin type. Instead, we tend to need to treat systemically/orally. Now to start, if we suspect a possible allergy based cause, we can try treating with OTC Piriton/Chlorphenamine ( 4-8mg every 12 hours). This can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We do like to keep the dose low to start since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, these shouldn't be used if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Otherwise and since he is sore, we'd really want to be considering ringing his vet about dog safe non-steroidal anti-inflammatory treatment (ie Metacam, Onsior, Rimadyl, etc). These are all very effective at reducing inflammation and can help get him walking comfortably. At the same time they are seeing him for that, they can also check this for infection and/or start antibiotics to cover that base. Just to note, many vets have out of hours aid over the weekends her and more practices are offering normal Sunday hours these days. If that isn't possible, you could try him on a low dose of Aspirin (More Info/Dose HERE) as this is a mild anti-inflammatory and could help at least keep him comfortable in the short term.

Overall, these lesions look like we have soft tissue inflammation +/- infection within the paw pad. Since they are present in a non-porous tissue, we tend to need to treat from the inside out. So, the above would be our main points of call here for settling this for Leon.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Leon. How is everything going?
nekovet