Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog took a little less than 2mg of alprazolam about 45

Customer Question

My dog took a little less than 2mg of alprazolam about 45 minutes ago. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'll dose alprazolam at up to 0.025 mg/lb in dogs. An adult German shepherd who might weigh 60 lbs would receive 1.5 mg. 2 mg would be safe and the most I'd expect your seeing is a sedated Makayla. Sedation may persist for up to 6 hours. Practically speaking, Makayla is going to have a nice rest tonight. Benzodiazepines such as alprazolam are very well-tolerated by dogs.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you so much..Well worth the 60$ to hear my girl is going to be ok. What negative effects should I look for that would prompt me to worry and seek help? She seems to be alert still and following my friends and myself around after about an hour and a hald, but she is beginning to get a sleepy.

I believe that that's all you're going to see. There's no reason to expect anything else arising. Check her gum and tongue color. They should remain nicely pink. Give her a kiss for me.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well now that I paid for a months subscription, what do you think about a 5 year old 130 lbs rottweiler with addisons disease.She is currently on the correct medicine for it. Do you have any thoughts on side affects? She is prone to bladder infections, but after her first injection she developed a serious bladder infection, and has been drinking a ton more water and peeing uncontrollably in the house.

I would be pleased to discuss her with you but my moderator won't let me discuss another pet in this conversation. I need you to post a new question and type "for Dr. Michael Salkin, only" if you want to speak to me. My colleagues will then know to defer to me. Sorry for the nuisance.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well, it just so happens the same thing is going on with Makayka, my German shepherd, does it happen to be contiguous by any chance, sir? What do I do?

No, Addison's isn't contagious and the likelihood of two dogs in the same household suffering from that uncommon disease is near nil.