Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I'm so worried about my chachuchu mix. He 2 1/2 years old

Customer Question

Hi. I'm so worried about my chachuchu mix. He 2 1/2 years old weighs 5.10 kos and has an intestinal blockage. This all started Thursday morning with what started out as vomiting a little bile. The he started throwing up white foam with lots of striny mucus the following day and seamed a little lathargic. We took him to a vet today and he did a rectal exam. When he pulled out his finger a lot of blood came out. He didn't have an X-ray machine and told us to go the the emergency clinic to get one. That's when the blockage was found and said he needs surgery which would cost 7000.00 dollars. I just can't afford it. They gave him subcutaneous fluids and an injection of butorphanol 10mg/ml about 5:00pm today.Sent us home with tramadol 50 mg to be give a 1/4 tab every 8 hrs and metronidazole 250 mg tabs 1/4 tab every 12 hr. She said to give him a tramadol tab tomorrow moring but he has started whimpering again and started popping thin bloody watery stools with blood clots twice this evening.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 10 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. Yes, you can give him Tramadol, but no the surgery cannot wait until Monday. When a dog has an intestinal blockage if it is not removed soon after it occurs then what happens is food and ingesta continue to build up and the intestines start to die and then rupture. I understand your concern about the money but if you wait until Monday there is a very good chance your dog will die.You need to take him in asap for surgery and somehow find the money if you want to save him. I ma very sorry to have bad news for you but these are just the facts.I hope this helps you. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated.Thank you very much.