Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

What to give female dogs so they will come in heat?

Customer Question

what to give female dogs so they will come in heat?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about stimulating dogs to go into heat. I'm glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

It appears you are not currently online and available to discuss your question with me. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you. I will OPT OUT now so your question will be available for other experts when you return online.
Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. Jo for you. There is no reliable therapy to induce fertile estrus in the bitch. There are many protocols in use with varying outcomes, but no controlled studies have been published. The most commonly attempted protocols include the use of Ovuplant (a deslorelin subvestibular implant) or the oral antiprolactinic medication cabergoline (5 mcg/kg PO q 24h until signs of proestrus develop). Please discuss these two options with your vet and please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.