Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My dog has a ruptured skin tag on s belly. It's read and

Customer Question

My dog has a ruptured skin tag on his belly. It's read and full of puss. We are taking him to the vet on Monday. It's now Saturday night. How should we give him first aid and keep it from getting worse and dripping blood until then?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your dog who has pulled a skin tag on his belly. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. It sounds like this ruptured skin tag may actually have been infected, or it could actually be something else like a sebaceous cyst if there seems to be a lot of fluid in it. Hopefully this was a relatively small skin tag, in which case it will hopefully not be bleeding too much. If there seems to be a lot of blood coming from the area, then apply pressure now and get him seen by your local ER vet tonight if you can. If there is just a small amount of blood dripping from it now, use some soft gauze or cotton wool to apply pressure to the area for a good 5 - 10 minutes. This should help to stop the bleeding.

If the bleeding settles after you apply pressure, then you can just keep an eye on the area until Monday. The biggest issue will be stopping your boy from licking and irritating the area excessively. If you have one (or if you can get one), please put an elizabethan collar on your boy. This will help to stop any further 'self-trauma' to the area. If the area dries up overnight and stops bleeding, then from tomorrow you can start gently cleaning the area 3 times daily with warm salty water. Just dissolve a teaspoon of salt per cup of warm water and use this on some soft gauze to gently dap the area and remove any excessive material or pus. Don't apply any neosporin or other topical products in to this wound. If you have a primapore bandage, or if you can get one, then you could place this over the area to absorb any extra material. That would save you having to do anything else to the area until you can get your boy seen.

Best of luck with your boy, let me know how you get on. Hopefully that bleeding settles down in the next half hour or so. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc