Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 12yo cairn terrier that I now see has a mouth

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 12yo cairn terrier that I now see has a mouth inflamed around her gums and I have her a 500 mg dose of amoxicillin til I can get her to a vet that I can afford
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now how much of a dose to give will depend on Shady's weight. Therefore, I do have to note that if you are giving 500mg, this is a high end dose for a 20kg dog. Since Cairn's tend to be closer to 6-8kg, she should be getting no more then 150-200mg every 12 hours. So, you need to adjust that (to prevent GI upset from this overdose) and keep up on your brushing until you can get her local vet to clean her teeth and thus remove the source of the gum infection.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )