Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My Brittany Spaniel has been diagnosed as having low protean

Customer Question

My Brittany Spaniel has been diagnosed as having low protean in her blood, is this curable someway??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

We need to see why she's hypoproteinemic - usually hypoalbuminemic. Decreased serum albumin levels result from a poorly functioning liver which isn't able to produce enough albumin or loss of albumin through the urine of impaired kidneys or the gastrointestinal tract. Can you upload a copy of all of his/her test results to our conversation? I not only review the results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't.

If we can determine the etiology of the lack of protein and treat it successfully, a cure is possible. In the great majority of cases, however - no matter the cause - we have to be satisfied by treating palliatively often for the rest of our patient's life.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.