Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My thirteen yr old cairn terrier threw up s breakfast after

Customer Question

My thirteen yr old cairn terrier threw up his breakfast after walk in the park and chasing squirrels. He had normal bowel movement and is still perky with tail raised he eats royal canon low fat gastrointestinal food one half can am and pm. This was an unusual episode and occasionally he emits ammonia like odor. Otherwise healthy.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is not unusual, especially in the older dogs, to have a minor digestive disturbance caused by exercise or stress or something odd that Tally HO may have ingested. Since he is still acting normal, follow these instructions:

Fast Tally Ho for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give him Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the vomiting has resolved, then wean Tally Ho back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take your dog to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as kidney disease which has as its first sign vomiting.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Hi John,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tally Ho. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta