How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 4997
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need urgent assistance - my 4 year old pug (5.8kg) just

Customer Question

I need urgent assistance - my 4 year old pug (5.8kg) just ingested 50 raisins (I don't know how many grams, perhaps 70grams - roughly 1/2 cup). I never keep raisins around the house and I am extremely careful as I know these are toxic. She tore down the rubbish bin while I had left the house for 20 minutes - something that she has NEVER done before. As soon as I had discovered that she had eaten the raisins, I immediately attempted to induce vomiting by having her swallow salt. It took roughly 45 minutes before she finally vomited up every raisin she had eaten. I then rushed her to the vet for further treatment. Despite being hysterical, I did clearly tell the vet what she had eaten but his English was not perfect so he initially misunderstood what I had said - he thought she had eaten rice. He therefore began treatment without knowing she had eaten raisins and came back for further details after 45 minutes. He finally did understand me (I showed him a picture), however I'm terrified we lost valuable time as a result of his misunderstanding.My questions are - can ingestion of raisins still be toxic if she vomited within an hour of eating them? If she received appropriate treatment within 3 hours instead of 2, is this too late?Your kind assistance is incredibly appreciated.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am so glad that you were able to induce vomiting so quickly. This was probably all that needed to be done & your pug will be fine. Taking her to a vet was an excellent step. Do you know what treatments were initiated there?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dr. Linda, thank you so very much for your kind response.Treatments that are listed on my veterinary receipt are as follows:X-Ray
CBC Idexx
12 Panel Chemistry
Sucralfate Liquid
Zantac Injection
Tramadol InjectionI'm not sure whether any of the above refer to treatment with activated charcoal but they did say they would give her this to inhibit further absorption of any toxins.Given the amount ingested, do you believe any fatal toxin absorption took place during the hour they were in her stomach?
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 11 months ago.

OK, great. I will assume no abnormalities were noted with the bloodwork ( CBC & chem panel ) & the x-ray should have been completely normal, too. So, administering the charcoal, sucralfate & giving the zantac should take care of any residual discomfort from both the raisin ingestion & therapeutic vomiting. Everything will be fine. Since raisins can cause significant kidney damage, just observe your pet for the next several days for any additional vomiting, lethargy, loss of appetite or increase in water intake, but I am quite sure that your prompt action was curative & your girl will be fine. If you wanted to be absolutely sure, you could have the chemistry repeated on Monday, but if your girl is acting her cheerful self, then this would probably be overkill. Your veterinarian did all the right things.

Relax & have a good weekend.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dr. Linda, your kind assistance during this time is incredibly appreciated,Thank you!!
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 11 months ago.

You are so welcome. But remember, you had the presence to induce vomiting as soon as you realized what happened. You are the hero here.

Take care.