Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Our 11 month old german shepherd has been showing signs of

Customer Question

Our 11 month old german shepherd has been showing signs of ODV. He has a head tilt, stumbles when he walks like he's drunk and his eyes move up and down and I was able to touch his eyeball and didn't even notice along with vomiting which has stopped since but has diarrhea like stool. Hoping He gets the results for that today. He lightly has been eating and drinking water. The vet took blood test an it came back an we're told it's an infection, the vet thinks food posining or garbage poisining. He said this before he noticed his eyes moving up and down. Since jaxs white blood cell count was high and his liver want too happy so we were given antibiotics. They called to see how He was doing and then were told because He was still stumbling the next morning, He now wants to get Xrays to see if he has anything inside, trash or something. I'm so confused an really Need a second opinion.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your German shepherd. Can you clarify the direction of his eyes "moving up and down"? You appear to be describing a vertical nystagmus. A horizontal nystagmus - eyes flicking side to side - is more common. A vertical nystagmus is seen in central (diseases of the cerebellum and/or midbrain) vestibular disorders and hold a poorer prognosis.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Up and down slowly. I'm still confused tho. What causes that?

Thank you. To answer you directly, a brain lesion but the cause of the lesion is unclear at this time - the distemper virus, Neospora coccidia, intoxication by a prescription or recreational drug, chemical poisoning, or congenital (present at birth) brain defects all need to be considered. Have you had your dog since a puppy? Were vaccinations against canine distemper performed on time?

These cases can be a challenge to clarify without cerebrospinal fluid testing and MRI and such testing is performed by a specialist veterinary neurologist as can be found here: www.acvim.org/ See here too: http://www.theanic.com/ which you'll find in Algodones, NM.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
he was given parvo and distemper shots at 8 weeks and 12 weeks and another one about 5 months ago.

Thank you. That should make distemper less likely as a differential diagnosis. Can you upload a copy of his test results to our conversation? I not only review the results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm not sure how to go about that cuz we were only given a receipt with everything done that day.

His vet can give you a copy of the test results. You can scan them into your computer and then send me the file or you can photograph the pages and send them as images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if such an icon exists) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?