Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

, My 17 year old Yorkie 's eye keeps getting closed

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My 17 year old Yorkie 's eye keeps getting closed shut with discharge that turns black. The last vet ut her on Tacrolimus and another po drug for kennel cough. Last night and today her stomach looks swollen and tight.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Eye Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I think she has an eye infection. The previous vet treated her cough with and antibiotic. The antibiotic improved her cough but it came back so I took her to another vet. My other Yorkies have recently developed the same problem since grooming. Yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great and that is sarcasm. You lead me to believe it was an immediate chat.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your gal's condition. My fear is that this cough may be related more to Congestive Heart Disease since the first sign of this is coughing due to fluid building up in their chest. This disease can also cause ascites which is fluid buld up in the abdomen which you are seeing in your gal. It is important, especially now, that you hve your vet run testing including xrays, blood work and Ultrasound to determine the cause for this. The eye infection could be due to her age since there will be atrophy of the head muscles when they get old and this causes excess skin around the eyes causing this discharge. It is good to apply an antibiotic eye ointment to help ease this discomfort.

This cough still could be kennel cough but I fear, with the abdominal distension, that heart failure may also be a cause which will require immediate treatment.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****