Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog injested meth
, she is a five year old shitzso

Customer Question

Customer: my dog injested meth
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: she is a five year old shitzso with all the symtyms sorry i m very nervgous
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did your dog ingest this?

How much?

How much does your dog weigh?

What signs are you seeing so far?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
8 hours ago not sure howmuch 15poundsadjaqtated toung out heavfy nbreathing paranoid
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
she won t eat or drink keeps moving
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you,

Now with her being this small and showing these signs, I do have to warn you that this is a very serious situation. And if her signs progress, then you may need to consider having her seen by the local vet to ensure that she does not suffer any harm from this. In regards ***** ***** signs of meth toxicity, we can see dogs develop extreme agitation, dilated pupils, bloody diarrhea, neurological signs (tremors, seizures), elevated heart rate, fever, and we can even see problems with blood clotting and death.

Now with so much time having passed, we are past a point where we can induce vomiting to counter this. Our only treatment option at home would be to give her activated charcoal. Though I have to note that it only tends to help up to 8 hours, so it too many not be as effective as we'd want it to be. Still, this is available OTC from the pharmacy and works to bind any remaining material in her stomach. Dose-wise, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound is given every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food or water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes).

Further to this, we need to use supportive care. Typically, we want to keep them somewhere calm, quiet, and dimly lit to reduce stimulation and the risk of seizures. If she will sleep it off, that is ideal but otherwise we can try to gently get her to drink to at least start flushing this out of her system.

Otherwise, if the signs progress or she is very agitated, then again that is point where it would be ideal to get your local vet involved so that IV fluids +/- supportive care (is anti-seizure medication, muscle relaxants, etc). This can just help get this out of her system faster and help her recover without issue.

Overall, with such a small dog having had this 8 hours ago, we do have to be very concerned here. Even though her signs are quite mild, all things considered. Therefore, you can consider activated charcoal treatment to limit absorption and keeping her calm and not over stimulated. Otherwise, if she cannot settle or does start to show neurological signs, then we'd want her to the ER vet ASAP and again they will be more interested in helping your wee one then breeching confidentiality to cause you trouble.

In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find one local to you, you can check http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193 and @ http://www.vetlocator.com/. I hope this information is helpful. If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )