Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have an American bulldog 100lbs he was on prednisone, 10mg

Customer Question

Hi I have an American bulldog 100lbs he was on prednisone, 10mg for 2-3 weeks the 5 mg a day for about 4-5 days. He won't eat anymore, can't even give him his prednisone to ween him off anymore. He's extremely bloated, diarrhea, seems depressed and now has extremely weak hind legs. Hasn't had a dose in 3 days now and this 3rd day has been the worst so far with weakness. Is there anything I can do. Will this weakness go away.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Why was he on the prednisone in the first place? Did the signs start after he stopped having the steroids?

How long has he been off food?

What color is his diarrhea?

Has he had any gagging, retching, vomiting, or lip licking?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
For an ear infection, signs started as he was being weened off and now worse. Hasn't been eating in 2 days. No vomiting or gagging. Gums are very pale/white and sticky, been drooling thick drool for a couple days now
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Before the prednisone he was a pretty healthy up beat dog
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He doesn't seem to have tenderness in the belly
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you,

Unfortunately, I am concerned that Axl is having a severe reaction to the steroids. One of the risks with long courses of steroids is that the drug can cause bleeding stomach ulcers. This can cause dogs to go off food, have belly discomfort, and as they bleed we can see the gums pale (which its really worrying to hear that his are pale/white) and become weak. Therefore, I am quite concerned that all his signs are related to the steroids and that we may have an internal bleed in his GI tract.

Therefore, this isn't going to be a situation where the weakness will just go away and not one that we can really treat at home. Therefore, I would suggesting ring his vet urgently. They can assess his level of anemia and check for a stomach ulcer. Since his belly is bloated, they can also ultrasound that to make sure we don't have a non-related bleed if he just happens to have something else amiss in that abdomen (ie splenic tumor, etc). Depending on their findings, they can treat for either as needed and give him the best chance of recovering from this.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Axl. How is everything going?
nekovet