Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My Shih Tzu was fine all day about 2 hours ago I noticed she

Customer Question

My Shih Tzu was fine all day about 2 hours ago I noticed she has been drinking lots of water and tinkling freqently. She had a few bumps on her back now she has bumps all over 1 is the size of a quarter on the back of her head they resemble welts she is miserable starting to scratch / What can I do for her she is 4 years old?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 11 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Dora Mae is having such a strange reaction tonight. Based on your description, I suspect that she is having an allergic reaction to something. This is very common in dogs and can be caused by many different things including insects and food.

For tonight I would recommend giving her benadryl. The dose for dogs is 1 to 2mg per pound of body weight, so a ShihTzu would take about 12.5 to 25mg (1/2 to one whole adult human tablet). This should help reduce her hives in about an hour. If it does not work, you may need to consider taking her to your local animal emergency room for a cortisone injection.

Does this help? Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 10 months ago.

How is Dora Mae this evening? Any more skin problems? Did you try the benadryl? Did you have to take her to the vet for treatments? Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. A