Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a 10 year old pointer. Has had an ulcer on s gums

Customer Question

I have a 10 year old pointer. Has had an ulcer on his gums above a canine for 6 months. have had teeth cleaned just after this appeared now has been on 5 rounds of antibiotics and none are clearing it up. ccb's appeared normal. dog is now in bad shape after taking last antibiotic dose yesterday eve. wont eat or drink, should i wait until morning to go to vet or go to ER vet now?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear Ranger is having such a difficult time with an ulceration in his gums

Reasons to consider or recommend a veterinary er

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration
- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it
- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable
- Swollen abdomen
- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest
- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5
- No interest in food for 24+ hours
- No urination for 12+ hours
- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour
- Productive coughing
- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

If there are any hesitations it would be best to have him seen tonight to ensure that there is no cause for alarm that requires medical intervention at this point

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope he is feeling better soon, truly

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. he has a few of these symptoms. i will make him comfortable and vet him in the AM.

If things progress or do not change then please consider the veterinary er. I also would make sure that your veterinarian has taken an x-ray of the root of this canine to ensure this is not a draining tract from an abscessed canine tooth

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Good evening, I wanted to check in on Ranger to see how he is doing today? Did you have to visit the er or were you able to get to your vet today? I would love an update...

I am online another few hours tonight and look forward to an update