Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My labradoodle puppy (6months) went to doggy day care first

Customer Question

My labradoodle puppy (6months) went to doggy day care for the first time today. When she came home, she cowered before me - scared - when she approached me. She has never shown any fear of people before today and certainly not of me - I am a stay at home puppy mom. I am worried that she may have been mistreated. Are my worries valid?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Tonya,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Awaiting your replay...Thanks,
Tonya

Hello again Tonya,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

" Are my worries valid? " : Well perhaps, but if this was my dog I would certainly be concerned ...

1. We can only speculate about what happened at the doggy day care but clearly something happened which stressed and upset your dog. It could have been because she was away from you and her normal familiar environment for the first time, or it could be that socialising with the other dogs was frightening to her. But finally although this is unlikely she could have been disciplined or intentionally or unintentionally mistreated in some way by someone at the doggy day care.

2. What you should do now is to reassure Lilly as much as possible, but if it was my dog I would be tempted to try another doggy day care to she how she gets on there ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Tonya,

I am just checking back in to see how Lily is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her anxieties ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lily. How is everything going?