Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Is dexilant poison to dogs (dexlansoprazole)
, I found

Customer Question

Customer: is dexilant poison to dogs (dexlansoprazole)
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I found my collie with a bottle with the lid off.There was one pill in the bottle but there may have been one, perhaps two pills. He usually does not try to eat pills but need to know. It was 20-30 minutes ago and he is playing with his ball
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes of course.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned as you found your fellow with an open bottle of Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) and he may have ingested a pill. Was this the 30mg pr 60mg size?

This drug is a proton pump inhibitor, like omeprazole (Prilosec) that decreases gastric (stomach) acid production. These drugs are fairly well tolerated in dogs and in most cases even with a one time slight over dose we don't see any toxic effects, or they are mild such as loose stools and a decrease in appetite for a couple days.

The no-observed-adverse-effect-level (NOAEL) seen in a dog study was 5 mg/kg, or 2.27mgs per pound.

Your fellow is likely pretty big being a Collie.

If he ate the 30mg size and weighs more that 14 pounds (very likely) he will be fine.

If he ate the 60mg size and weighs more than 28 pounds (also very likely) then he will be fine too.

I don't think you need to do anything special for him, and it is pretty unlikely he will show any signs at all if he did eat one pill.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you found my response helpful, please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it, thank you, ***** *****