Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our Boykin Spaniel has been vomiting after eating snow. This

Customer Question

Our Boykin Spaniel has been vomiting after eating snow. This was not a problem in the past. She can just eat a very small amount even just a lick, and she vomits. We started giving her carafate and that seemed to help for awhile but not so much anymore. This is just the start of winter, with 4 more inches today. Do you have any thoughts?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry your dog is showing this odd behavior. Have you considered pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound twice daily as an alternative?

I too have a dog that has a reaction to the snow ironically and live in Colorado where we just had 6 inches today. When she ingests snow she gets full body tremors that last 5+ minutes and have to keep her on the leash at all times with the snow and if at a park a basket muzzle

I did every test the specialists recommended and no one really understands why it happens but have confirmed it is with snow ingestion!

But with your specific case, I would try the pepcid and if that is not effective possibly prilosec (omeprazole) once daily in the morning at 0.5 mg/ pound. I really do understand your frustrations with this and wish I had answers to why the snow causes this reaction.

I am curious to know whether it is just snow or anything cold like an ice cube?

Please let me know if this is something you can consider trying, both are over the counter options for you to do for a week trial period and truly hope it helps reduce the episodes you are experiencing. I do think a basket muzzle should be considered otherwise...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am online another 15 minutes before needing to exit for a few hours but will return later this evening to see if you have responded if I miss you...

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman