Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

K
, :) ty puppy adopted a week ago on dry food then few

Customer Question

Customer: hi dr k
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: :) ty puppy adopted a week ago on dry food then few days in started to have runny stool with a bit of blood possible worms since he only had 1 round of shots hes due in a week for next round we have given him rice water w pumpkin canned just worried everyone says normal but wanted to ask if that is the case
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: is it one time fee sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years and I'd like to help with your question. I see that you have been waiting a few minutes because your question was tagged for a specific veterinarian, but I'm not sure if she is online right now.

If you are still there and still want an answer please just respond with a I'm still here note and I will finish your answer. Thanks for waiting.

Soft stools in puppies is not a normal finding, but it is certainly a common problem. Times of stress, such as transition to a new home, can make the susceptible to some infections.... coccidia is the most common, but giardia or clostridia overgrowth are also possible. They typically cause soft stools, sometimes even with a bit of blood, but generally no vomit and the puppies are eating well and otherwise acting normal.

There are more serious problems that can cause soft stool such as parvo virus infection, but that cause vomiting, weakness, and signs of illness.

The canned pumpkin can help firm up the stool, but if this is something like coccidia then it should be treated sooner than later. I would try to take him to a veterinarian in the next day or so to get a fecal test done so they can choose the right medication to give him. If he is ill (vomiting, lethargic, not eating) then he should go even sooner.

I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know. If not, please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks. There was no vomiting thank god but the blood in stool threw us off. He doesnt seem sick lots of energy but needs to go very often...how much food isgood at 9 weeks

How big is your puppy?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
About 3 lbs

Okay... Puppies vary greatly in how much they eat... as the grow they burn a lot of calories. I would offer 2 TBSP of dry food 3 times a day to start and make adjustments from there. If he is very hungry and not getting fat you can give him a bit more. If he eats, but doesn't finish it then you can give him less. If you are feeding wet food do the same thing.

Coccidia is what usually causes the frequent bowel movements with a little blood. Get a fecal done soon because having coccidia can cause dehydration and eventually make them sick if it isn't treated.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Stacy