Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

BASSET HOUND-STRANS TO PODDY WITH NO LUCK SHE IS 2 YEARS

Customer Question

BASSET HOUND-STRANS TO PODDY WITH NO LUCK SHE IS 2 YEARS OLD- HEALTHY FIRST TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if Lulu hasn't passed stool recently and is straining, we do need to tread with care. This is because we can see this with constipation but also can see this if she has a gut blockage (which would be higher then a finger could reach). Therefore, we can start some supportive care just now but I she isn't passing stool in the next few hours, then we'd need to think about having her examined by her local vet.

First, we sometimes find that milk can be helpful at getting things moving along. So, you can give her a bit of that. As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can be of benefit in these cases. This is available from the vet or the pet shop and works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. Since she is eating, these can be mixed into her food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).

Further to all of this, I would just note that you could also consider mixing a spoonful of canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil into her food. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease her eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into her (as canned food is 35% water). I would also encourage her to drink if she isn't drinking much. Especially as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. So, do make sure she has access to fresh water but you can also offer low sodium chicken broth if she is won’t drink properly for you.

Overall, we need to tread with care if she is straining to pass stool. Therefore, do consider the above just now to give her a bit of a "push" to pass feces. Still, if you do so, but don't' see feces over the course of today or more straining without feces; then we'd want to have her vet have a feel of her GI to make sure there is nothing amiss or signs of impaction (as then an enema under sedation may be indicated).

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )