Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

I have four Shih Tzu dogs. We live in New Mexico and I want

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** Adams, I have four Shih Tzu dogs. We live in New Mexico and I want to maybe get sun glasses for them. What would be safer for there eyes
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the sun is very hard even on humans here and i don't want there eyes damaged
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We travel during the summer to Alabama, Montana, and California, what else should we do to keep them safe and healthy on these trips
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I completely understand your concern. However, it is very atypical for a dog to need to wear sunglasses on a regular basis despite the strong sun. Also, the likelihood that they will tolerate wearing the glasses is not very likely.

So, simply avoiding prolonged sun exposure for several hours at a time, should be all that is necessary.

The trips to the other States. What else to ensure safety:

1. Ensure they are on a good flea, deworming, and heartworm preventative medicdation like the oral product called Trifexis.

2. In those other STates, ask the local veterinarians if there is any issues with infections like leptospirosis, canine influenza, or other infections that can be vaccinated against. Typically, most conservative veterinarans only do the core vaccines. However, if you travel to areas where a particular infection is more endemic, an extra vaccine could be worthwhile for extra protection.

3. If you are in environments where ticks are a concern, than choose a product that can help with kiling ticks quickly like NexGard flea and tick oral medication.

4. With travel history, I would also encourage getting a tick-borne disease blood test annually, as well as, a regular fecal test annually.

Hope that information helps. Good Luck