Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My 10 year old doxie has been up and down all night with a

Customer Question

My 10 year old doxie has been up and down all night with a sore back.. I took her to the vet this morning and they gave her some prednisone and tramadol.. Gave her that. She still can not get comfortable! She is still able to walk, wag her tail and eat drink normally.. Does she just need rest and time for meds to work?? Thanks!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 11 months ago.

Yes, it may take several hours to a day or two before the steroid, prednisone, is of any benefit. Tramadol is tricky. It's not very bioavailable to dogs. Meaning, when they ingest it, they don't get as much benefit from it as a vet would suspect because they don't absorb it well. So, sometimes, the dose needs to be increased. I certainly would not increase the dose at this point, but if after a few doses she still seems painful, talk to your vet about a dose increase and/or also starting some Gabapentin, which is another good drug for neurologic pain.

Hope that information helps