Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

How much lasix and potassium do i give a 10-14 lbd dog.

Customer Question

Customer: how much lasix and potassium do i give a 10-14 lbd dog.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: well i have a 14 yr old shitzu and its been going on for about 2 weeks her abdm is swollen and she has a hacky cough and drinking lots of water and eating ok. but when you pick her up she starts with this dry hacky cough
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes for a minute
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

How much lasix is your pet currently taking?

Is she on any other medications?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Understood.

Okay, lasix is not a drug we arbitrarily start without a definitive diagnosis of congestive heart failure and fluid accumulation in the lungs. When it is prematurely started, and there is any other lung disease or infection that could be contributing to a harsh cough, it will dehydrate the pet, possibly thicken mucoid secretions in the lungs, and make them worse.

The same thing applies to potassium supplementation. We generally do not give it unless we have a blood test that shows potassium is lower. This is a very common mistake made at home. We frequently diagnosis hyperkalemic pets that can een result in heart arrhythmias when they are supplemented potassium incorrectly or excessively.

If I were you, I would not suggest giving either until your vet can do an exam and some basic testing to confirm what is going on. That is particularly true with these two medications.

Lastly, the swollen abdomen. Let's "assume" it were fluid. Lasix is poor at helping to pull fluid from the abdomen. It is far more successful when there is fluid accumulation in the chest due to congestive heart failure. Plus, there are many other conditions that can cause the swollen belly appearance including organ enlargement and Cushing's disease.

Definitely, well worth consulting your pirmary vet first before giving anything.

Hope that new information helps

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marsha,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?