Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has a slight case of Parvo or we a have been told

Customer Question

My dog has a slight case of Parvo or we a have been told that at our local vet. they gave me a home remedy electrolyte flush with a pill form antibiotic.
my dog is very small and doesn't weigh a lot already, he is in a puppy age 5 months.
The vet wanted 4000.00 to care for him over the next 5 days and we could not afford that so we took the home remedy.
is there anything else it could be and is there anything else we can do for him at home as we are unable to afford a vet. please help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. Unfortunately, home care for parvo only carries a 20% survival rate. If his symptoms are mild, then the prognosis can be better. I am not sure what antibiotic they put him on. I would definitely have him on metronidazole and a more broad spectrum antibiotic, like Clavamox. I would also talk to your vet about putting him on a medication to control nausea and vomiting. It may also help for your vet to give him a Vitamin B12 injection to help with GI immunity. Pepcid dosed at 2.5mg per 5-10 lbs of body weight daily can help as well. Check to see if your vet has a bland GI diet, like Hill's I/d to see if he will eat that. If not responding, though, hospitalization may be needed. With parvo, the sooner they are hospitalized, the better the prognosis. You may want to check around with other vets in your area to see if they will treat parvo for cheaper. Prices may vary a lot from clinic to clinic. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.