Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My name is ***** *****. Our 2 year old Wheaten Terrier

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. Our 2 year old Wheaten Terrier continues to growl and bark viciously when a new person comes to our home. He is better with people who regularly come to the house but that can sometimes change in an instant if he is startled in the slightest. He is great with other dogs. He's had professional training and gets lots of exercise daily. I'm beginning to think it just in his DNA to protect the house. The issue is that we cannot leave him unattended at any moment if someone "new" is in the house (a child's friend, contractor etc). It is very scary and we definitely need help. Thanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I think all the details have been stated. Please advise on what type of information I can provide next. Thanks
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: What does "generally" imply?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

AS you are aware. this is a very serious situation. the first thing to do is to have your vet examine your guy since this may be due to a medical condition especially if he is not neutered. Other metabolic problems can cause this aggressive behavior that can be treated with medication.
If this is ruled out, then I strongly recommend that you seek the aid of a veterinary behaviorist which you can find using this LINK.
I only say this because now, you will not be able to trust your guy until he has calmed down. There are calming agents such as a DAP Collar that decreases anxiety of this is causing this aggression or Rescue Remedy that also decreases anxiety. Both can be purchased at the pet store.
Your vet has medication that can help you train your guy out of this aggression by establishing yourself as the "Alpha Dog" and obedience training so he obeys you when you say NO!
You do have options and after speaking to your vet, they will be able to direct you so that your guy stops this bad behavior.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****