Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is shivering and panting heavily

Customer Question

my dog is shivering and panting heavily
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you give me an update on how Gio is doing?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He continues to shiver and pant heavily

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Did he get into anything or something out of the ordinary?

5- Is he walking any different?

6- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He has been shivering and panting since 3:30 AM with some brief periods of rest. He has not eaten anything and drank a small amount of water. No coughing or vomiting.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?

2- Is he walking any different?

3- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He is being treated for an infection with an antibiotic and eye drops since 1/5/16. He has been given 5 doses of the medication. He also received an injection of dexamethasone on 1/5/16 for pain to his back from a possible slipped disc.

Is he walking any different?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No

Can you take his rectal temperature?

Friend, panting and shivering can be caused by many different medical conditions that affect dogs. One of the most common causes is pain (neuromuscular or abdominal). The fact that he has a history of a possible slipped disc we strongly need to consider that he could be in pain from his back. Unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. Do Not give over the counter pain killers as they are all contraindicated as he had dexamethasone recently. I would recommend you phone your vet this morning, discuss with your vet about keeping him on oral corticosteroids. In addition, start him on a pain medication called Tramadol. Once he is started on these medications the panting and shivering should stop if this is related to neuromuscular pain.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter