How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16312
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have three dogs all under 20 lbs who somehow injested 15

Customer Question

I have three dogs all under 20 lbs who somehow injested 15 chocolate covered macadamia nuts together in the last 12 hours sometime. None of them are acting sick but I'm still worries
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Was it dark or milk chocolate?

Are you sure they got these (could they have rolled under furniture, etc)?

Are you sure it was 12 hours? Or what is the most recent amount of time they could have had this (our window of possible ingestion)?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well they made it fine through the night. It was milk chocolate covered macadamia nits
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
None of them are showing signs of toxicity. They did eat them all there was no furniture they could have rolled under
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It would have hoped between 6-9pm yesterday
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It would have occurred between 6 and 9pm yesterday
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

I am very glad to hear that they are all well. Especially since if they had had a toxic level of either component we'd have seen GI upset, weakness, trembling, and possible seizures. And we'd have expected most of these within a few hours (and some of the more serious signs witin 12 hours) of ingestion.

In this case, it sounds like the shared them equally and no dog had over the toxic limit for either. Therefore, they are very lucky wee ones with very tolerant stomachs. So, if it has been that long already, we'd assume little risk here and just want to keep an eye +/- offer a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken or white fish) to keep everyone's stomach settled.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks you so much. They do have strong stomachs. All were mutts and have been known to demolish chocolate, yet it was the nuts I was really worried about
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome,

That is not a bad thing when they get into this kind of mischief. :)

As well, we are very lucky here that no one dog hoarded them all; since that could have certainly caused adverse signs.

Best wishes to you all,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hi Cassi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet