Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

1.5 year old Bolognese has been vomiting past 3 days, just 1

Customer Question

Customer: 1.5 year old Bolognese has been vomiting for the past 3 days, just 1 or 2x per day; shivering. She's hungry, although all I've given her is mashed potato. Still enjoys walks, although won't play with her brother. Once the vomit was yellow fluid, maybe a tablespoon; later, just a quarter-teaspoon of clear fluid, so she's digesting her food. She hasn't pooped since this began, but hasn't eaten solid food either. She's drinking water in normal quantities.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My question is if and when to go to the vet. I've been looking at the web, and one site said the vomiting of yellow fluid might be serious. She's had all her shots and is never outside off-leash, but she could have snarfed up some duck-poop or something noxious in the grass during a walk.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: How long is a bit?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you ...

Vomiting is very common in the dog and most cases will either resolve on their own or respond to simple home remedies. But of course more serious diseases involving vomiting are sometimes possible so this sort of thing is always a gamble. If you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check her over without delay.

That said that there are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog, these can often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something she should not have out in the yard, or has had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can also often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A couple of teaspoon twice a day would be fine for a smaller dog like yours.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her vomiting issue ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?