Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. From what you are describing, my primary concern would be some type of irritant to the mouth. It could be a toxin (chemical, plant, another animal), trauma, an allergic reaction or even a foreign body. You can try opening his mouth and looking in there. If possible, check the roof of his mouth and under the tongue. If you don't find foreign body, you can try to give him a little milk in case it is a toxic irritant. Milk can cause diarrhea in dog, but its basic properties can neutralize some toxins. Benadryl is usually safe to give to dogs as well as long as there aren't any other concurrent medical issues. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.
My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.