Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

A vet had previously prescribed an over the counter, I

Customer Question

A vet had previously prescribed an over the counter, I believe it was immodium, for my 9 year old 4.5 lb miniature pinscher when she had diarrhea, but I don't remember the dosage. I'm trying to get her over a case of it right now, and she's not interested in rice.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear Willow is having issues with diarrhea. I would not advise administering Imodium which can cause illness to certain breeds but also some dogs in particular can have a reaction to this product so it is not advised.

Tonight you can:
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours x 3 days (i.e. 10 mg 1/8 tablet)
- Bland diet of white rice (perhaps brown rice since she isn't interested in the rice you are offering? Or oatmeal as an alternative) and lean boiled meat such as chicken mixed together which is bland yet bulking to the stools
- Canned pumpkin can also aid in bulking up the stools, 1 tbsp every 12 hours

If there is no improvement I would advise a veterinary fecal evaluation to rule out an underlying cause that requires treatment such as worms, giardia, isospora infection that can be easily remedied with antibiotic therapy or dewormer. Especially with her being a small breed dog, I would hate for this to progress to blood in the stools and/ or vomiting before the weekend.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 15 minutes if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!