Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dogs one eye is closing now and then
, had some

Customer Question

Customer: my dogs one eye is closing now and then
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: had some clear discharge from it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been showing signs?

Any redness or hazy/clouding to the eyeball?

Any history of trauma or running through grass, plants, or anything that could have caught the eye?

Any sign that he is rubbing it or irritated?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3to 4 days, no hazy or clouding but clear discharge which has slowed,no injury,she is rubbing her eye,she is part pug
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now if this has been going on for a few days and she is part pug (as this breed does tend to have prominent eyes that are prone to corneal ulcers and irritation), we need to tread with care. First, we need to block her access to the eye. The more she rubs, the more likely she will be to damage the cornea (clear cover over the eye). Therefore, for the short term she will likely need to wear an e-collar.

Further to this, since we only have tearing (no signs of snotty discharge from bacterial conjunctivitis which would be an indication for antibiotics) you can try flushing this eye with sterile saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution). These are both eye safe and can help flush debris, irritants and bacteria from the eye. This can be done 2-3 times daily for her. Afterwards, if the eye is very irritated, you can also apply artificial tears to the eye (avoid any listed for "getting the red out" and stick to a plain brand like Viscotears or Lacrilube). These aren't treatments for eye infection but can just soothe the eye if irritated. And if this is just a bit of irritation, the above can often soothe it.

That said, if you use the above and she doesn't settle, is very irritated, or we start to see snotty discharge; then we do want to plan to have her vet examine this eye. (especially since it is such a delicate organ). If we need to do that, we'd want them to stain the eye to check for any trauma or ulcers/lacerations. As well, depending on their eye exam findings, we may also need them to check her tear ducts (which can cause increased tearing since the tears cannot leave the eye via the duct and thus spill over).

Overall, we do need to tread with care for your lass and this affected eye. Therefore, we'd want to start the above to see if we can soothe this for her. Though if it lingers, then we'd want to have a check to make sure there isn't anything more sinister that needs further treatment to heal for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet