Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Chihuahua seems to have bloated stomach and shaking not

Customer Question

Chihuahua seems to have bloated stomach and shaking not active as she normally is
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chihuahua seems to have bloated stomach and shaking not active as she normally does and her walk is a little off
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

A bloated abdomen in a small breed dog is often due to fluid build up in the abdomen. This can be due to low protein levels in the blood, right sided heart failure or inflammation of the vessels (vasculitis). Low protein is the main cause. This can be from liver disease, kidney disease or GI disease.

Obviously, there is a lot to sort through to get to her issue. The first step is an exam and probably ultrasound to confirm the fluid build up. If there is no fluid, then it's probably just some bloating from pain or swallowing air. That's easy to treat with pain management. If there is fluid, then it's tapped and bloodwork is run to find out the underlying cause.

For now, I'd give her the night to see if it resolves on it's own (ie swallowing air). If it's still present tomorrow, then see your vet and start working her up.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay thank you very much, is there anything we can do to make her conformable
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

The main thing now is just letting her calm down and sleep for the night. There's not much in the way of over the counter meds that are likely to do any good. If it's still like that tomorrow, I think you have to get her looked at.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay, Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hey uhm she is unable to turn her head to the right
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

That goes more with pain. She may have a disc herniation in the neck. If that's the case, some pain meds and rest should be all she needs. The bloating would then be due to swallowing air.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Have a good night.