Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 10 lb dog chewed a Flector patch (1.3%) that I had worn

Customer Question

Customer: My 10 lb dog chewed a Flector patch (1.3%) that I had worn overnight until 2pm today. I don't think she ate any of the patch but she may have swallowed a small 1/4 inch piece. This all happened 30 minutes. Please let me know what I should do. Thank you. Randa
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: YouMy 10 lb dog chewed a Flector patch (1.3%) that I had worn overnight until 2pm today. I don't think she ate any of the patch but she may have swallowed a small 1/4 inch piece. This all happened 30 minutes. Please let me know what I should do. Thank you. RandaRead more: http://www.justanswer.com/dog-health/7jc83-dog-chewed-flector-patch-do.html#ixzz3wX5tRzg0
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes since it's already been 30 minutes Im worried I need to induce vomitting. Please get back to me asap
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thanks for requesting me,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Randa

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. These patches contain diclofenac as an active constituent which can be toxic to dogs, but since you had worn it for quite a few hours then hopefully a significant portion of the active constituent would have been depleted. It is also very much a plus point that your dog only chewed the patch but did not actually swallow any other than perhaps the very small 1/4 inch portion you mention.

On balance I think it likely your dog should not have been exposed to enough diclofenac to cause much harm.

2. However that said dogs are very sensitive to diclofenac and it can potentially cause problems to them so if this occurred within the last hour or so then it may be wise to induce vomiting as a precaution and also thoroughly irrigate out your dog's mouth with luke warm water as well.

For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to induce vomiting best : LINK

2. But if any odd symptoms occur such as loss of appetite, vomiting and/or diarrhoea { or anything else } then you should have your dog checked over by your vet ASAP just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Randa,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Flector Patch incident ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.