Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

How soon would a 6 month old puppy show symptoms of foxglove

Customer Question

How soon would a 6 month old puppy show symptoms of foxglove poisoning and how long would they last.....There is a remote possibility that my puppy came into,contact with some foxglove around 8:00 this morning....how soon would she have symptoms....Other than vomitting, she was a little lethargic this afternoon but otherwise she ha been running around and playing normally.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that Rio is sick. Symptoms can manifest within a few hours. If Rio has already exhibiting vomiting, I would storngly recommend getting in to a ER vet right now. Foxglove is a nasty plant for dogs and cats. It will not only cause vomiting, but is well known to cause heart arrhythmias, severe diarrhea and weakness, and can cause heart failure.

I would strongly advise against a wait and see approach considering the plant of concern that she may have been exposed to is Foxglove.

This is well worth a ER trip regardless of she is running and playing around.

The toxic principle of foxglove is cardiac glycosides and there is a ton of information on the internet. If Rio had not vomited at all, that would be a different concern. But, since there is "any" symptom of illness, we now cannot rule-out the risk for heart complication, since this is also a small Shepherd puppy.

Hope that new information helps

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Even if she was exposed 12 hours ago? And I examined hee vomit and didnt see any foxglove in it...
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello, no need to spend the extra funds on the phone call, plus for liability reasons, all my responses must be documented online.

Yes, even at 12 hours, it would still be worth at least the examination to listen to the heart to ensure no irregularities.

I am sure Rio is a beautiful Shepherd puppy. I would just hate for something bad to happen, so I have to advise the safest recommendation because it is specifically Foxglove of concern. Plus, not vomiting up parts of the plant does not rule-out that it was ingested. At only a few hours, the plant mateiral would have already made its way in to the intestinal tract.