Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

What are causes blindness. Soon after a glaucoma screening

Customer Question

what are causes for dog blindness. Soon after a glaucoma screening he lost his sight. No glaucoma found.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am so sorry to hear about your dog. There are several things that can cause sudden onset of blindness in dogs. We can see cataracts develop (presumably these can be seen by yourself or your vet as a whiteness of the pupil) as a result of diabetes. We can see retinal detachment as a result of high blood pressure (often seen with kidney disease), we can also see a condition called Sudden Acquired Retinal Degeneration Syndrome, or SARDS.

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

We can also see blindness as result of optic neuritis (inflammation of the optic nerve) or a mass/tumor in the brain.

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Has your vet done any bloodwork on your dog or checked his blood pressure since this issue started?

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Hello? Just checking to see if you got my response? If you had any questions? Please take a moment to RATE our conversation or reply that you got the information in your message so that we can know if you were satisfied. The only way in which I receive compensation for helping answer your question is if you acknowledge in some way you received the information and found it helpful. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They also gave him 2 vaccines the same day as the glaucoma test. Bordetella and canine Nobivac. Any thoughts on giving a 13 yr old these? Searching for answers because my dog was old but still in ok health
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This is invoice from that day
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Hello. As far as the vaccines go, it really depends on the dog and their condition. In a healthy senior dog, we often do continue the vaccines if they aren't having health issues. The Bordetella vaccine has a shorter length of efficacy than the DHP vaccine, and really does need to be boostered yearly in particular if your dog is higher risk (i.e. goes out on walks, goes to the park, a groomer, etc.), the DHP vaccine some clinics now do every 3 years instead of yearly because it does tend to provide immunity longer than one year if they have had it several times.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He was having health issues, they thought possible cushions but wanted to go through w blood work and urine tests. That's why I am not sure why they did vaccines in first place
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

That is hard for me to say. Some clinics have strict policies on vaccinating dogs that may be staying in the hospital (not sure if he did) or just routinely vaccinate yearly for everything. Most of the time the vaccines do not cause an issue, and aren't associated with blindness in any instances that I know of.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Have you ever heard of a glaucoma test making eye sight worse?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The test I thought was harsh on the eyes. Tapping pupil 8-10 times for an average reading that she said was not glaucoma
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

I know the test does appear to be irritating, but it is a test we use all the time and doesn't cause any internal problems to the eye. It would not cause blindness. The only circumstance I can see where I wouldn't want to do the test would be if a dog has a very deep corneal ulcer and I was afraid a small amount of pressure on the eye may cause it to rupture. Otherwise it is a safe test, just temporarily annoying. We usually put a small amount of numbing drops on the eye before doing it at my clinic, so it is less annoying to the dog.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She did put the drops in before. I'm just confused how my dog could go from 10-2 since I left there. I had to put him down last Wednesday and now I just wanna know what happened to him. Prince was a border collie who loved life and for him to go blind in a day, lose control of bowels and wheezing makes me wonder if the visit to the vet could've been a mistake on my part and there's for the treatment he received. I really appreciate you getting back to me.
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Oh my goodness! I didn't realize you had lost him, I am so sorry to hear that. Did they find anything on his bloodwork that they had done?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm not sure of results because I haven't called them because of how upset I've been about the whole situation. I'm gonna ask them to email me results of urine and bloodwork today
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Ok. Why don't you let me know when you get the results back in. Perhaps that will give some clue as to what happened. I will tell you it is very unlikely that a glaucoma test and the two vaccines would have resulted in your dog's deterioration unless it was an allergic reaction type situation, which usually we will see facial swelling and breathing issues as well, and usually this is something we know about from previous vaccinations. I am so sorry for your loss!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you Dr Jessūüėė
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

You are welcome. I will check back in later to see the results whenever you get them.