Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

What are the little hard, just under the skin, on my yorkie?

Customer Question

what are the little hard balls, just under the skin, on my yorkie? They are4 the size of a b b.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

Where exactly are you seeing the swellings?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
One on head, one on leg, one on rib, and one on stomach

Thank you.

How old is your dog, & how long have the bumps been present? Are they getting any bigger & does your dog seemed bothered by them ( ie does he scratch at or try to gnaw/lick the ones he can reach?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She's 4 years old and the only one getting bigger is the one on her leg. She's not bothering them and it doesn't hurt her to touch them

OK, that you for the additional information. They are probably benign cysts, possibly sebaceous or epidermal in origin. They are usually slow growing & can be found anywhere on the body, however they are most commonly found on the head, neck, back area, & on the limbs. They could also be fibromas, which are a little less common than the aforementioned cysts, but are equally benign & do not metastasize. There are several other type of "button tumors" that might pop up under the skin, so having them looked at the next time you need to see the vet is a good idea. The only one that might concern me is the one on the leg. Because of minimal muscle & skin coverage on the limbs, if this is something that needs to come off, you want to have it done while the nodule is still quite small. But at this age, I would assume these are all quite benign.

I hope this makes sense & you have found the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you.