Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our 11 year old male fur baby had surgery 4 days ago. Drinks

Customer Question

Customer: our 11 year old male fur baby had surgery 4 days ago. Drinks water sometimes keeps it down but, will not eat anything, I have tried all his fovorites
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He had an obstruction in his intestines that we thought was a bone he had eaten but the surgeon found he could move it along by massaging it so did not cut into the intestine. He found severe inflammation of the gut and after surgery he was regurgitating and had bad diarrhea with red blood in it, they treated him for that and they kept him on an IV for 3 days then we brought him home, he does drink water but refuses to eat even his favorite things. He still vomits but no blood and his rare liquid stool has only dried dark blood in it.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Based on his continued signs, it sounds like your lad isn't keen to eat due to severe nausea. This commonly causes vomiting but also reluctance to eat for fear of doing so. Therefore, in his case, I'd strongly advise ringing his vet and updating them on this. If he isn't on anti-nausea medication, he should be. And if he is but still showing these signs, we'd be best to try a stronger alternative. As well, if there has been blood, then gut safe pain relief +/- antacids (ie Pepcid, Zantac) or gastroprotectants (ie Carafate) should also be considered. Finally, once the nausea is under control, if need be you can also have them start an appetite stimulant to give him that push to eat for us as he should.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)