Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Debbie My dog broke s back toe nail and had it removed

Customer Question

Hi Debbie
My dog broke his back toe nail and had it removed almost 9 days ago now.
The right side of the nail has healed and grown back its hard nail but the inside of the nail that it touching his middle toe is still very raw and pink/wet....
He is on antibiotics but I am concerned as to why it won't heal?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr.Jess. I am sorry to hear about your pup! It can take quite some time (weeks to months) for a nail to grown back, depending on how far back the nail was lost. If your dog is licking at the area, then an e-collar may be needed to discourage the licking as it could further irritate the nail. A bandage (that is changed every few days) may also be needed for some time if the nail is painful or getting dirty from going outside or being licked. I would let your vet know that the area looks pink/raw still- they may wish to extend the antibiotics and see you to place a bandage on for a few more days.