Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog was t by a car going at max speed of 15 ( it was the

Customer Question

My dog was hit by a car going at max speed of 15 ( it was the mail lady) Saturday ... Her paw was all raw and scrapped .. And side of leg was raw in a size of a dime! I have clean the wounds with proxcid and triple antiboctoc 4 time a day!! She lost some blood about medium all blood has stopped! Her foot is swollen and she won't drink anything so I been giving her petilite and feed her raw steak and cheese and fish to get her body back !!! What else should I do? How long does the swelling last? And she had ripped her bottom pad wide open.. I keep putting triple anti on it!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your dog. It sounds like topical antibiotic treatment may not be enough for your dog. Sometimes wounds like this can get debris or dirt deep inside of them and just cleaning and putting topical antibiotics on the wound is not enough. The swelling is likely due to either infection, or if she is lame she could also have broken a toe and that is the reason her foot is swollen. She definitely needs to be seen by a vet, to get a prescription for oral antibiotics, to have her foot cleaned and appropriately bandaged, and possibly to have an x-ray done to determine if she has any broken toes. I would also recommend that you stop using the peroxide to clean her wounds, as repeated use can actually cause cell death and delay healing.

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Hello? Just checking to see if you got my response?

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about Oz's problem! Has he ever had urinary issues before? When we see blood in an animal's urine there are a few things we worry about. The first would be a urinary tract infection. Given the fact that your dog has issues with bladder control (?) this is even more of a suspicion because if he isn't fully emptying his bladder each time he urinates, it can predispose him to developing a bladder infection. Also if he is wearing diapers moisture may be in contact with his skin and the end of his penis and make an environment that bacteria may be more likely to grow in and ascend into the bladder.

Other concerns we have with blood in the urine include bladder stones and tumors in the bladder, as well as any causes of bleeding internally such as exposure to rodent poison or a problem with the platelets (in those cases we will usually see signs of bleeding elsewhere such as bruises, pinpoint hemorrhages in the skin/on the gums). We also worry about inflammation or infection or tumors in the prostate in male dogs.

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry, please disregard that last entry. The computer system is acting up today and that was meant for another owner!!! Did you get my original response?