Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog, rescued from the streets three weeks ago, had four

Customer Question

My dog, rescued from the streets three weeks ago, had four puppies on Dec 30. She is having diarrhea and I cannot seem to get it under control Feeding her just white rice helped, but it's not enough to sustain her nutrient needs. What am I going to do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now if she has recently had pups (and potentially is still feeding them), then its unlikely that the dairy products are to blame. This is because those tend to be self-limiting and don't cause continuous diarrhea once they are stopped. Instead, we'd be more concerned about worms (a common issue for dogs in this state) as well as opportunistic infections taking advantage of her immune weakness as she pours her resources into her pups.Now you are right that she cannot survive on rice alone. Still if her gut is too compromised for dog food, try adding a bland protein source like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet. Otherwise, it is highly advisable to worm Holly now. If she is still feeding the pups, then you can use Panacur with her. It is safe for nursing mums (we can even treat the pups with it once they are 2 weeks old) and it can help rule out worms here and also treat some protozoal agents. Furthermore since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. To start, we want to check her gum moisture to make sure its moist and not sticky/dry. As well, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).Finally, as long as you have not seen blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p/page1.aspx). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI. Overall, this doesn't sound to be related to the foods you gave. Instead, I am highly suspicious that opportunistic parasites or bacteria are capitalizing on her post pregnancy weakened immune system. Therefore, we'd want to use the above supportive care just now and get her wormed. If she settles, we are happy and can wean her back to her normal food in a few days. If she doesn't settle or relapses, then we'd want to have her local vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, and test a stool sample to see which agent is to blame. Depending on their findings, they can start antibiotics +/- anti-parasitic medication to settle this for her before she wastes away or stops making milk due to the toll this diarrhea is taking on her body. All the best, ***** you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She was wormed using Drontal (by a dumb vet) about one week before whelping. Her pups were born on Dec 30 so of course she is nursing...and she is begging for food every minute.
I thought Id try some Bio-K, a non dairy probiotic that I used myself for intestinal disturbances....very efficient. If that doesn't work, i'll take a stool sample to the vet. I have seen little spots of diluted blood on the towels, but not sure if they are coming from anus or vagina or what...not a lot of
blood, but brightly colored, diluted looking spots
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hi again,Actually her nursing the pups isn't a given, since some people will remove pups from mothers that have diarrhea (since there is a high risk of infectious causes and therefore a risk to the pups too). Still, if she is, then that is a shame that Panacur wasn't used before. In any case, that sounds like a reasonable and hopefully we will settle her hunger as we add in one of those easy to digest protein sources. Otherwise, a stool sample would be the way forward.Finally, we can se spots of blood when they pass lot of diarrhea secondary to colonic irritation but if she did just have pups then vaginal spotting can be normal for up to 6 weeks. So, we'd just monitor that at this stage. All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thank you so very much...i will give her one more day, then take in a stool sample. other possible causes i have thought about are 1) i thought i saw her nibbling in the compost pile a couple of days ago, 2) i gave her some of the raw food that my own, older dog gets...probably not a good idea for a new mom Thanks again so much
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
You are very welcome,I do think that would be for the best if she doesn't settle. Though do keep her away from the compost and the raw food (for now) just as those too could trigger what we are seeing. But if we remove those, we'd expect her to settle with the above.Please take care,Dr. B.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)