Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 6 month old/12lb. Min Pin. He was boarded and has

Customer Question

I have a 6 month old/12lb. Min Pin. He was boarded for 10days and has developed a very mucousy cough. He has been vaccinated against kennel cough. Should I give him mucinex and if so how much?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he lethargic?

2- Is he eating and drinking?

3- Can you list the ingredients and milligrams in the mucinex?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's fairly energetic, although it's obvious he doesn't feel well. His appetite is very good.
Mucinex per 5/ml
Dextromethorphan - 5 mg
Guaifenesin - 100 mg
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, though he was vaccinated against kennel cough there are other bacteria and viruses that can cause respiratory infections that we don't vaccinate against. It sounds like he has a respiratory infection. I would have him checked by family vet, he may need oral antibiotics. In the meantime start him on Mucinex 1/4 teaspoon every 6 hours.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, I see that you have requested a live call. I can not make a live call at this moment. But, I am happy to answer any additional questions or concerns through this thread.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tim,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Brody. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter