Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My kelpie 8yrs,has always been sensitive around her lower

Customer Question

My kelpie 8yrs,has always been sensitive around her lower spine region. Rescue dog at 17 weeks. At times more noticeable. Vey agile, loves to run. Returned from two weeks at beach , extensive running and swimming, not unusual for her. Sometimes she will spring up from lying position as if bitten .Ocassionally take off at a run while walking, as is startled but always as if a sudden pain has hit lower spine near tail. The past few days she has yelped if I brush her "tender"spot . She has appeared hesitant at times to go outside as if somethings out there. I noticed tremors yesterday for a while and once as a pup she had a bad case of tremors . We assumed she'd found coffee grounds. She has always bum scooted a bit, checked out by vet. Could there be a central nervous system disorder? I alway assumed she sustained an injury as a pup, despite her appetite for activity
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Based on your history of Annie, I would be suspicious that we may have a pinched nerve. This can often come on unexpectedly as if they were stung and can especially be an issue after lots of exercise in older dogs that may have spinal arthritis. (And just to note tremoring/shaking and fearful behaviour are not uncommon because these dogs hurt with this and just aren't sure what might set it off). That said, with her history of guarding her back end and always being sensitive there, we'd also have to think about underlying hip dysplasia and/or historical trauma.

In this situation, I would note that we'd want to consider speaking to her vet about anti-inflammatories. The joint supplements are good but won't do much for a pinched nerve. You could speak to your vet about a trial for a week to see if this reduces in frequency and if she becomes more comfortable with her back end. Of course, with the intermittent nature of the nerve signs, you could even discussing having these on hand to treat as we see a flare up. Otherwise, while an anti-inflammatory will help for nerve, muscle, bone, and joint discomfort; it may be worth having an xray at this stage. It will let you assess her hips and spine and just let you know what we are facing (whether there was a trauma, hip dysplasia, etc). And that way we can gain a better understanding to what long term discomfort has been causing her to feel that she needs to guard her back end and get an idea of what may be triggering this suspect nerve pain.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)