Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 1year old male Chihuahua has been itching s eyes raw to

Customer Question

My 1year old male Chihuahua has been itching his eyes raw to the point they are red and swollen (looks like it hurts bad)
Vet prescribed Hydroxyzine HCI 10mg didn't work. The last two days I have administered Benadryl 25mg 1/2 in the A.M. other 1/2 in the P.M. still doesn't seem to work.
I also had his nails clipped and had them grind smooth.
I'm so sad for him. I will get appt. to take him to vet tomorrow,in meantime what do you suggest we do ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How much does Pup Pup weigh?

Has he had any discharge from the eyes?

Are you using any sprays, powders, or new products at home that could be irritating him?

Do the eyeballs themselves look swollen?